Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day #593

Thankful Tuesday…(err Wednesday)

Every Tuesday, I take a moment to give thanks to one thing that I’m thankful for in my life. Some of my blessings are sweet and some of them are silly but all of them are important to me.

Sorry for the delay!

My parents on their wedding day.

With the joy of 5 inches of now also comes issues with power. Today was the first day of actually seeing people since church on Sunday. Talk about Cabin Fever.

Today I'm thankful for my parents. My parents gave me the foundation to be successful and believed in every creative {aka crazy} idea that I had while growing up. They fueled my creativity instead of ignoring it. For example in 5th grade, my Social Science class homework was to make up an island that feature different geographical regions {rivers, mountains, beach, etc.}. Instead of turning in a drawing, I turned in a cookie map of my island. The mountains were Hershey kisses and the rivers were made of icing. My teacher was so impressed that he called the local newspaper to come and take a photo of this map {hello small town} and I made the paper. Needless to say I got an A.

My parents could have taken the easy route, handed me some markers and let me draw something typical but instead they encourage me to think outside the box.

Fast forward to my college days when I was applying for the chapter consultant job with the Delta Zeta Sorority. They asked me write about what personal tools or traits I would use on the road while traveling. Instead of writing about them, I sent them a real toolbox filled with things like a mirror {because I tried to reflect positively on the sorority}, a watch {time management} and so on. It made such an impression that they brought up the tool box several times during my interview and allowed me to stand out amongst the 400 + candidates.

If I had not been taught at an early age to think creatively, I don't think I would be where I am today. It is my parents guidance {and patience} that allowed me to be successful and for that I am eternally thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment